The phone cellular I used was a cheap Nokia 6015 CDMA. I bought it over a year & got paired it with Fren CDMA SIM card. The DKU-5 data cable came with the USB port connection (I’m not sure whether it is genuine or not). Currently, I tested it from Linux Fedora Core 4 with standard kernel 2.6.11 from my laptop.
When it plugged to the USB port, the data cable identified as Prolific PL-2303 USB of its own. You may see it by running the dmesg command on the terminal:
hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 1
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core v2.0
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for PL-2303
pl2303 1-1:1.0: PL-2303 converter detected
usb 1-1: PL-2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usbcore: registered new driver pl2303
drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.c: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver v0.12
From the message information above, the converter are currently attached to ttyUSB0. If you want to know more on how it recognized, try to execute cat /proc/tty/driver/usbserial command:
0: module:pl2303 name:"PL-2303" vendor:067b product:2303 num_ports:1 port:1 path:usb-0000:00:07.2-1
Or running cat /proc/bus/usb/devices command:
T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 3 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=067b ProdID=2303 Rev= 4.00
S: Manufacturer=Prolific Technology Inc.
S: Product=USB-Serial Controller C
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=100mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=pl2303
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 10 Ivl=1ms
E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=83(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
Or it just simply to open the KInfoCenter tool & watch the USB list tab to find out whether the cable has been recognized or not:
Now, continued the next step below to configure the connection. Execute the kppp application from start menu or terminal. Create new account with any kind of connection name (I used mobile8) & add #777 to the phone number lines.
Also, create a modem connection with any kind of modem name (I used nokia) & make a link to /dev/ttyUSB0 modem device on the drop down box.
If the modem is well confirmed, try it with modem query process. On my experiment, it would display Nokia 6016i at 4th line.
That’s all! Press the connect button to start the connection. After it had initialized, you can get start to enjoy the internet from the browser directly.